features some cutting edge climbing both in alpine terrain (Shark's FinMeru Central6310mNorth East Pillar6a,A4, WI5,M61400m) as well as high-end rock climbing. I would imagine most of us having seen the film remember section titled "Wide Boys", as it is driven, gripping and funny all at the same time.
I wasn't too sure about whether I should buy the full-length version of Wide Boyz Hot Aches20122012-11-15From acclaimed directors Paul Diffley and Chris Alstrin comes a wild journey through the strange sub-culture of offwidth crack climbing. Join two brave British lads, Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall, as they take on the decidedly American sport of climbing bloody, painful and often dangerous cracks that require wedging body parts into places they weren't meant to be. Randall and Whittaker's ultimate goal is to make the first ascent of a renowned offwidth test-piece known as Century Crack, which looms above the forgotten lands deep in the Utah desert. If they can achieve this unlikely climb from under the noses of the competitive Americans, it will be a coup for these young up-starts, but the odds are stacked against them.Chris Alstrin; Paul DiffleyPaul Diffley, Chris AlstrinJay Anderson; Tom Randall; Bob Scarpelli; Pete WhittakerSporthttp://hotaches.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/wideboyz.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b6oo9mu5JU171139tt3121430 as I already owned the Reel Rock. Boy am I glad I did, as it is not merely a extended cut of the same film, rather than completely different movie. Having really enjoyed the film, when I read that there's a sequel in the making, a decision to buy it was a no-brainer.
The sequel Wide Boyz II – Slender Gentlemen Hot Aches20142014-12-31After their success climbing the world’s hardest offwidth, the Wide Boyz, Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall, embark on their next crack climbing mission. This time their sights are set on the thinner end of the crack climbing spectrum. Their goal is the mighty Cobra Crack in Squamish BC, considered to be the hardest finger crack in the world. First climbed by Canadian ‘rock star’ Sonnie Trotter after battling it out with Didier Berthod, the route hit the media spotlight in the film First Ascent. With no local hard cracks to train on, the Wide Boyz refit their underground training dungeon and commit to a year of torturous finger training. With only a short trip to Canada planned, the Boyz face their biggest challenge yet against the sharp granite bite of the mighty Cobra Crack!Paul DiffleyPaul DiffleyPete Whittaker; Tom Randall; Sonnie Trotter; Didier BerthodAdventure; Documentaryhttp://hotaches.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/WBII-DVD-Front-Cover.jpghttp://vimeo.com/89835038264928 sees the lads change their focus from wide to thin. Having tamed the most difficult offwidth, Pete and Tom set their sight to Cobra Crack, a legendary finger crack located in Squamish, Canada. The coveted first ascent of Cobra Crack fell to Sonnie Trotter in 2006. At the time it was considered one of the hardest traditional crack routes in the world, and still is. The grade was never set in stone and has wavered somewhere in the low to mid 5.14 range. Some seriously interesting additional info can be dug out from the web regarding the preparation for the climb, the climb itself as well as behind the scenes action.
- Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker repeat Cobra Crack at Squamish. British climbers Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker have both repeated Cobra Crack at Squamish, Canada. By PlanetMountain at Planet Mountain on 2013-09-22.
- INTERVIEW & VIDEOS: Wideboyz Do Cobra Crack!. Following their recent ascent of Cobra Crack in Squamish, Canada, UKC caught up with Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker aka 'The Wideboyz' whilst they were having a wet weather rest day in Squamish. By Jack Geldard at UKC Climbing on 2013-09.
- Review: Wide Boyz II – Slender GentlemenReview: Wide Boyz II – Slender Gentlemen. It’s a measure of how far Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall – the Wide Boyz – have come, that a route such as Cobra Crack, which forms the basis of Wide Boyz II, is regarded as a stepping stone to potentially bigger and greater things. For those not au fait with the route, Cobra Crack is a 5.14 (what’s that in Euros – F8b+/c on gear?) in Squamish, British Columbia, first put up by Sonnie Trotter in 2006. It’s had a few repeats – not many – and all by international superheroes; Alex Honnold, Nico Favresse, etc … you get the idea. By John Coefield at UKC Climbing on 2014-03.
- Wide Boyz II Slender Men- The Cobra Crack. For the second time, The RV Project (in this case just me, Spenser) has gotten the privilege of filming professional climbers alongside professional filmers. Last time was in Vedauwoo with Sender Films, shooting Brad Jackson, Adam Papillion, and Bob Scarpelli climbing offwidths for the Wide Boyz segment of Reel Rock 7. This time: Canada, with Hot Aches. - See more at: http://rvproj.com/2013/10/03/wide-boyz-ii-slender-men-the-cobra-crack/#sthash.rLSrw6lT.dpuf. By Spenser at RV project on 2013-10-03.
- Wide Boyz Blog. Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker's stories from the wide side. This blog is about two climbers who are searching out the widest, dirtiest and hardest offwidths that this planet has to offer. The journeys, the training, the routes and the failures - no holds barred. It's not about the grade, it's about the experience and when it comes to The Wide the experience is the same for everyone!
- Tom Randall Climbing. Don't expect anything normal… First and foremost I am a trad climber, or perhaps an adventure climber. I love the challenge of the unknown in climbing and I think for me, that trad climbing satisfies this desire. I’ve spent most of my climber career establishing new routes either in the UK or abroad. Somewhere along the road, I fell into the niche of crack climbing and this is probably where I have had my greatest successes. I’m not sure that it’s because I’m any better than anyone else at this, but more that no one else enjoys the pain!
- Wide Boyz - Teaser Trailer. The latest, craziest film from Hot Aches Productions and Alstrin Films. Two climbers from Sheffield, England, take on the hardest wide cracks in the world. Do you like it wide? By Hot Aches Productions at Youtube.
- 'Wide Boyz II - Slender Gentleman' - Official Trailer. Wide Boyz II (2014), UK, HD, dir. Paul Diffley / Chris Prescott. After their success climbing the world's hardest offwidth, the Wide Boyz, Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall, embark on their next crack climbing mission. This time their sights are set on the thinner end of the crack climbing spectrum. Their goal is the mighty Cobra Crack in Squamish BC, considered to be the hardest finger crack in the world. First climbed by Canadian 'rock star' Sonnie Trotter after battling it out with Didier Berthod, the route hit the media spotlight in the film First Ascent. With no local hard cracks to train on, the Wide Boyz refit their underground training dungeon and commit to a year of torturous finger training. With only a short trip to Canada planned, the Boyz face their biggest challenge yet against the sharp granite bite of the mighty Cobra Crack! By Hot Aches Productions at Vimeo on 2014.
- Patagonia Video: Sonnie Trotter Climbs First Free Ascent.... June, 2006, Squamish, B.C. Patagonia climbing ambassador Sonnie Trotter climbed the first free ascent of Cobra Crack (5.14). Sonnie worked the overhanging, thin-finger crack 30--40 times over the past few years, often rope-soloing the route to dial the moves, before completing it all-free. Sonnie said, "It's very rare to find a climb that is both overhanging, and so aesthetic. The fingers fit inside, but barely -- if the crack was any more shallow, it would be just another impossible wall, if the crack was much steeper, it may be impossible -- so I consider that route a gift for climbers. I've spent the better half of 10 years looking for a climb like that. It's perfect." By Patagonia at Youtube.
- REEL ROCK 7 Trailer. The biggest stories from the climbing world, told with humor, heart, and mind-bending action. Featuring Alex Honnold in Honnold 3.0, Chris Sharma and Adam Ondra in La Dura Dura, Conrad Anker, Jimmy Chin and Renan Ozturk in Shark's Fin, The Wide Boyz, Sasha DiGiulian, Daila Ojeda and more. By SenderFilms at Youtube.
- Cobra Crack. To date Cobra Crack is one of the hardest crack routes in the world. Overhanging fingers on perfect granite. If you can climb the grade and enjoy cracks then the Cobra is or at least should be on your ticklist. One of the best rock climbs in the world without question. Sack up and fight the pain and the glory is yours! At Mountain Project.