The Last Great Climb movie poster. Credit: Posing Productions
, Shot on 2014-01-20 Photo taken
.Licensed under: Public Domain
While on Topic of upcoming films, there appears to be another interesting looking project in the making. The Last Great Climb Posing Productions20132013-11-15The 2013 film from Alastair Lee is an epic to end all mountain epics se t in the stunning mountains of Queen Maud Land, Antarctica. The feature documentary follows top adventure climber Leo Houlding with his tried and tested team of Jason Pickles and Sean ‘Stanley’ Leary as they attempt to make the first ascent of the NE ridge of 'the master piece of the range'; the majestic Ulvetanna Peak (2931m). One of the most technically demanding climbs in the world’s harshest environment. The film tells the story of a climber's life long dream reach one of the world's most remote and difficult summits, interweaved with the fascinating story of the mountain itself; which incredibly was only discovered in 1994. All set against the backdrop of the current age of mountaineering where few great lines remained unclimbed.Alastair Lee Alastair LeeLeo Houlding; Sean LearyAdventure; Documentaryhttp://www.thelastgreatclimb.com/cache/uploads/images/gallery/d8106c9b09bf95bbf0f5b345eebb8dc16298f0e3.jpghttp://www.posingproductions.com/video.php?form_action=play&video_id=258/tt3872000281315 covers the first ascent of NE ridgeUlvetanna2931mNE ridge5.12,A2/E6 6b,A2/C235 pitches, 1750m by Leo Houlding, Sean Leary, Jason Pickles & Chris Rabone.
If the previous work of director Alastair Lee and the trailer is anything to go by, some spectacular footage should be a given. The feature is third part of the trilogy by the same team, the two previous ones are (North Peak, NW faceMount Asgard2015mNorth Peak, NW sideE6 6b) and Autana Posing Productions20122012-08-31Adventure climber Leo Houlding and film maker Alastair Lee are back with another sumptuous production of truly epic proportions. This time Leo (UK) and fellow climbers Sean Leary (USA) and Jason Pickles (Salford) head deep into the Amazon in an attempt to make the first ascent of the east face of the remote tepuy; Cerro Autana.Alastair Lee Alastair LeeAlastair Lee (Producer)Leo Houlding; Sean Leary; Jason PicklesAdventure; Documentaryresources/media_images/Autana.jpgplugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=WzBaPd3OxmM&hd=1218747. BTW, there's also another movie about difficult rock climbing on Mount Asgard: Asgard Jamming 20092009-01-01Attempt to make the first free climbing of the Mount Asgard.Stephane Hanssens; Nicolas Favresse; Sean Villanueva O'Driscoll; Oliver FavresseAdventure; Documentaryresources/media_images/Asgard Jamminghttp://www.xpedition.be/?p=310271923.
- Ulvetanna: The Last Great Climb. Filmmaker Alastair Lee previews his 2013 film, "The Last Great Climb," featuring Leo Houlding, Sean "Stanley" Leary, Jason Pickles and Chris Rabone during their first ascent of the Northeast Ridge (5.12 A2, 1750m) of Ulvetanna in Queen Maud Land, Antarctica. Dreams become reality for this group of climbers as they ascend "the masterpiece of this range." But with unnatural beauty comes unnatural weather, and Houlding's team faces extreme temperatures as low as -31 degrees Fahrenheit with windchill. "The Last Great Climb" makes its debut in December 2013. By Alastair Lee at Alpinist on 2013-06-28.
- Climber Leo Houlding tells of 'out of this world' brutal Ulvetanna ascent. Top British climber Leo Houlding has described his ‘out of this world’ first climb of a brutal route in Antarctica, saying the expedition pushed his team to its limits. By Liz Roberts at Grough on 2013-01-28.
- Ulvetanna Peak, new North East Ridge route in Antarctica. The North East ridge of Ulvetanna Peak (2931m) in the Antarctica has been climbed for the first time by Leo Houlding, Sean Leary, Alastair Lee, Jason Pickles, Chris Rabone and David Reeves. At Planet Mountain.
- Major new route in Antarctica by Houlding and team. In late January, after a year spent organising the project, Leo Houlding, Sean Leary (USA), Alastair Lee, Jason Pickles and Chris Rabone stood on the summit of Ulvetanna, having made the first ascent of the huge northeast ridge. By Lindsay Griffin on 2013-01-28.
- The British Mountaineering Council. The British Mountaineering Council (BMC) is the representative body that exists to protect the freedoms and promote the interests of climbers, hill walkers and mountaineers, including ski-mountaineers. The BMC recognises that climbing, hill walking and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions.
- Antarctica’s Great Climb. The North East Ridge of Ulvetanna. By Alastair Lee on 2013-08-20.
- Gripped. Canadian climbing magazine.
- The Asgard Project: A Q&A with Alastair LeThe Asgard Project: A Q&A with Alastair Le. The Asgard Project trails an expedition, led by Leo Houlding, to make the first free ascent of Mt. Asgard's North Tower on Baffin Island. Houlding teams up with Sean "Stanley" Leary in hopes of making a wingsuit descent from the summit, while filmmaker Alastair Lee and his crew tag along to capture the adventure on film. By 2011-04-18 at Alpinist on Gwen Cameron.
- The Asgard ProjectThe Asgard Project. At almost an hour and a half, the film might seem long for a climbing documentary, but the scale and quality of its climax justifies the patient build-up. The odds of Houlding and Lee pulling off a great climbing expedition film were stacked against them from the start, and circumstances worked against them. Even so, they pulled it out of the fire, and a big, ambitious film is appropriate. It's possible this film may re-emerge as a television documentary. I hope they don't cut it too much. This kind of thing doesn't come along very often. At Calm and Fearless.
- The Asgard Project. Article originally from Climber 2009-12 At Leo Houlding.
- Leo braves tropical nasties for first ascent on Amazon 'lost world'. One of Britain’s top climbers has followed in the footsteps of Sir Arthur Conan’s Doyle’s adventure heroes with ascent to a South American ‘lost world’. By Liz Roberts at Grough on 2012-03-09.
- Al Lee's new film Autana charts the ascent of Conan-Doyle's 'Lost World'. Renowned adventure filmmaker Alastair Lee’s latest film promises to be an offering beyond the ordinary with tales of disguise, shamanism and jungle nasties. By Liz Roberts at Grough on 2012-10-03.